Sunday, October 2, 2011

Quotes... Because Other People Say Things Better.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (this is from the movie)

Rochester: We've been good friends, haven't we?
Jane Eyre: Yes, sir.
Rochester: I've a strange feeling with regard to you. As if I had a string, somewhere under my left ribs. Tightly knotted to a similar string in you. And if you were to leave, I'm afraid that cord of communion would snap. And I have a notion that I'd take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, you'd forget me.
Jane Eyre: How? I have lived a full life here. I have not been trampled. I have not been petrified. I have not been excluded from every glimpse of what is bright. I have known you, Mr. Rochester. And it strikes me with anguish to be torn from you.
Rochester: Then why must you leave?
Jane Eyre: Because of your wife!
Rochester: I have no wife!
Jane Eyre: But you are to be married!
Rochester: Jane, you must stay.
Jane Eyre: And become nothing to you? Am I a machine without feelings? Do you think that because I am poor, obscure, plain and little that I am soulless and heartless? I have as much soul as you and full as much heart! And if God had blessed me with beauty and wealth, I could make it as hard for your to leave me as it is for I to leave you. I'm not speaking to you through mortal flesh. It is my spirit that addresses your spirit. As if we'd passed through the grave and stood at God's feet equal. As we are!
Rochester: As we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment